Pages

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Activity Board

Natalie is the definition of busy these days.  And I'm pretty positive she started getting bored of all of her toys about 3 months ago.  I try to entertain her, but I'm not always great at finding things to do
 (and sometimes I just want to sit and let her play). So I attempted to make a busy board/activity board/discovery board/whatever you want to call it.


Everything we didn't already have came from the Dollar Tree or Walmart.

(Not all of this stuff is necessarily ''baby friendly'' but I definitely still plan to watch her with it.)

I'll go through and explain what is what/where it came from:

 1. This was a ''locker mirror'' that I found at Walmart in the dollar section.  The pom poms are also from Walmart that I bought in a big pack with pipe cleaners and googley eyes.  I just super glued them on.  Natalie loves loves loves mirrors.

2. Just a plastic hook from the Dollar Tree.  I figured I'd put a few hooks on here so we can move things around the board.

3. Soft blocks that I made and had sitting around with velco attached so she can take them off and put them back on.

4. Pill box from the Dollar Tree.  I like that she can pop the lids open and close them again.

5. Lock and chain from Walmart.  She already likes pulling the chain off and banging it against the board.  I wanted some noisy things on here, and it will be good practice for her to put the chain back on the lock one of these days.

6. Paper clip cup from the Dollar Tree and shoelace from Walmart.  It will be a good lacing toy eventually, but right now she just chews on the shoelace.  She'll be able to put little things in that cup too if she ever feels the need.

7. Sandals from Walmart.  They were on clearance for $1.00 and they have velcro straps.  Just kind of a fun/random thing to put on there and she can pull the strap off and stick it back on.  Good practice for next summer maybe?

8. Carabiner clips and measuring spoons from the Dollar Tree.  She likes to play with the spoons and bang them against the board.  She is also dead set on trying to get the clip off of the hook.

9. A small canvas that I had already wrapped in fabric with felt flowers I made.  It is on a hinge and it lifts up to show a square felt face with googley eyes, pom pom nose and pipe cleaner mouth.

10. Picture frame from Walmart.  Also on a hinge, to lift up and show some green glittery paper that has a really rough texture.  She likes to scratch it.  And she loves to stare at babies.  I put that picture in there because we already had it laminated so it doesn't matter if she gets it all slobbery.  Which she will :)

11. More carabiners from the Dollar Tree and two small soft blocks with bells in them that I made.

12. Big calculator from the Dollar Tree.  She loves remotes and loves to push buttons so I thought this would be fun.  Good for pointing out numbers to her!

13. These are some small board books that Kristin gave us that I put a small square of velcro on, so she can pull them off and put them back on.  

14. Another hook to move toys around.

15. Small wheel from Walmart.  She loves to spin things, and thinks it's hilarious when she can really get it going (there is also a small white rubber hook next to the wheel just to hook any random thing on).

16. Felt board.  This is a cork board that I got at the Dollar Tree a long time ago.  I just covered it in white felt.  I thought about making felt animals or something, but decided just to make some shapes so she can try to match them.  They are attached with ribbon so they don't get lost.  The small foam blocks attached to the left side are also from the Dollar Tree.  I've got a big bag of them, but just grabbed a few.  So far she just pokes at them, but that's about all she can do :)

17. Heart light from the Dollar Tree.  I actually do not have batteries in here yet, but it's still fun for her to push.  It makes kind of a springy noise and she seems to think that's good enough.  I will put batteries in as soon as we get some though.

18. Water bottle with pom poms.  Pom poms and the shoe lace are from Walmart. 


I think that's everything?

She is pretty entertained by it so far and I'm hoping it lasts, and that she doesn't get too sick of it too quickly.  It was really fun for me to put together though, so at least if she does get sick of it I got some enjoyment out of it too :)




 The face underneath the canvas.

 Glitter paper she likes to scratch.




 

 The carabiners are a definite favorite.




 She found the face.

27 comments:

  1. This is beautiful!!! Silly question - how did you attach everything? Did you use a type of glue?

    Also, do you have suggestions for how you might switch it up as baby gets older? Maybe something for a toddler? ThankS!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! The calculator is the most genius thing ever, what is it about buttons that kids just can't help but push them all? LOL.

    To the commenter above - I have a 3 yo, and already have my mind going on how I could adapt it for him. There's quite a bit that a toddler would like already on there: that sliding door lock, calculator, lacing practice toy, and battery light. I'd also add more flip-up frames, small ones that have the capital letters on front, and small letters underneath. Or maybe small words (cat, dog, milk, ball), and then a picture of the object underneath.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I attached a couple of things with screws (like the sliding lock, and the wheel), a few things with velcro (the heart light, so I can take it off easily to put new batteries in, and the velcro blocks and books), and most of it is on there with a double sided adhesive mounting square. I just bought those at the Dollar Tree too and they are holding up well, but I think when I want to take this stuff off of the board I should be able to pull it off without too much trouble.

    If I were to make another one of these as she gets older, I'd do more moveable pieces for sure.

    She loves flipping that canvas up to see the face, so I might add more of those with something different underneath. The suggestions above are good. It could be shapes or colors or animals or anything...

    I may attempt a new one some day too so let me know if you come up with any more ideas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this idea! How do you prop it up so that it doesn't fall over?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! We usually just lean it up against something. There isn't really anything to keep it from falling, unfortunately. Sometimes we just lay it flat too.

      Delete
  5. I attached L brackets to the back of my board. This helps stabilize it. You can slide the brackets under the sofa or whatever you lean the board against for more support.

    I love this idea. I made one this weekend for my 10 month old grandson. I hope he loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you should of put the baby sandals right side up so she can lay on her back and stick her feel in the shoes make sure there a size larger

    ReplyDelete
  7. email me at lizzietorr@outlook.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a new granddaughter and although she's too small for this now, she'll grow into it! I can't wait to begin working on one for her! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Attach things to a hula hoop put her in the center of it for Timmy time....

      Delete
  9. Do you think this would work for an 8 month old? She loves all these items. She sits up, but i see this child is some what standing. Great ideas!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, what type of wood do you use for the board itself? I am trying to not make it too heavy. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I actually just used an old shelf that we were not using. It was heavy but I never had a problem with her pulling it over onto herself or anything. I tried to keep it at an angle or even just flat on the floor sometimes. I don't really know what kind of wood would be best, sorry! I wish I had a suggestion for you!

      Delete
  11. Fantastic ideas! I am a children's librarian and hope to do something like this for the kids at my library - thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this! Can you tell me where you got the long wooden board? Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Late reply, sorry! It's just a shelf from our closet actually but you can find shelves like that at home depot and lowes in their closet organizations like aisles sometimes.

      Delete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. From where i can find same as the wooden board that you used?

    ReplyDelete
  15. From where i can find same as the wooden board that you used?

    ReplyDelete
  16. From where i can find same as the wooden board you used?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually just a shelf from our closet that we weren't using. You can buy something similar at a home improvement store in the closet organizational area though.

      Delete
  17. your busy board is by far one of the best that i've seen! and i have looked at a lot on pinterest.i will say that although the pill box has a purpose, remember that many people, grandparents ect., use these and i would not like a little one thinking it is a toy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an amazing busy board! I am planning to adapt your ideas on a foam board as a Base. Do you think it will be a good option?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would work with some of the items for sure! There were a few things that I screwed on that you would have to attach differently to a foam board but I don't see why they wouldn't work if you used either glue or command strips or something else. Good luck! :)

      Delete
  19. I started on this today and I love it so far, I'm just not sure gorilla glue will hold up with my daughter's roughness! How did you stick everything on the board?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, it's getting so hard for me to remember now! I am pretty sure I used hot glue on some of the things like the wooden frame with the felt on it and the mirror with the pom poms. A good amount of them were screwed on... Like the metal tin, the sandals, the wheel, the lock, the fabric canvas and the picture have a hinge that are screwed into the board and then I just glued the hinge onto the frame/canvas I think. Sorry I can't be more helpful, I honestly can't remember for most of it! Hot glue is a good guess though. The velcro were self adhesive and very sticky so they stayed on there pretty well. I can't for the life of me remember how I attached the calculator and the heart light... Sorry I can't be more helpful!!!

      Delete